The lottery was conducted at 4pm EST, on Thursday, February 27, 2020. Selected applicants were notified through email. To learn about our waiting list, please visit our Waiting List FAQs page.
Adopted September 24, 2014
The Hawbridge School is a tuition free public school. Any child who is qualified under the laws
of North Carolina for admission to a public school is qualified for admission to a charter school.
To qualify to attend a North Carolina public school, a student must be a resident of North
Carolina. County boundaries or school attendance areas do not affect charter school enrollment.
The Hawbridge School does not limit admission to students on the basis of intellectual ability,
measures of achievement or aptitude, athletic ability, disability, race, creed, gender, sexual
orientation, national origin, religion or ancestry.
1. Applications may be submitted in the following ways:
a. Applicants may print an application from our website and submit it in person, via
fax, scanned to email, or mailed.
b. Applicants may apply online.
c. Applicants may stop by the school and pick up an application.
d. Applicants may request that we mail them an application.
2. Enrollment Period: March 1 through October 1. Any openings from the start of school
through October 1st will be filled from the waiting list. Openings that occur after
October 1st will not be filled.
3. The Hawbridge School shall offer enrollment to an applicant who submits a completed
application during the application period and meets the legal admission requirements
unless the number of applications submitted by eligible applicants during the application
period exceeds the capacity of the grade level to which an applicant is seeking
4. If the number of applications submitted by eligible applicants during the application
period exceeds the capacity of the grade level to which they are seeking enrollment, then
acceptance for any oversubscribed grade level shall be determined by lottery.
5. The School may give enrollment priority in certain instances as stated in G.S. 115C-
238.29F(g). Priority will be given as follows:
a. Children of Hawbridge faculty or Board members
b. Students who were enrolled within the two previous school years but left the
school (i) to participate in an academic study abroad program or a competitive
admission residential program or (ii) because of the vocational opportunities of
the student’s parent;
c. Siblings, half-siblings, and step-siblings of currently enrolled students who reside
in the same household as the currently enrolled student
d. Siblings of students who have graduated from Hawbridge and who were enrolled
in at least four grade levels offered by Hawbridge.
6. Applications received after February 28th will be added to the end of the waiting list for
the grade level that they are applying for in the order in which they were received. If
more than one application is received simultaneously, a lottery will determine placement.
Lottery procedures will comply with the NC Open Meetings Laws provided in G.S. 143-
7. If, prior to the end of the enrollment period (October 1st), a position becomes available
in the grade level for which a waiting list exists, then the school may offer enrollment in
that program, class, or grade level to the next applicant on the waiting list.
8. Waiting List: The waiting list will remain in place for the applicable enrollment period.
After such time, a new waiting list will be created based on the next year’s applicant
pool. The application process will start new each year with all interested applicants
needing to reapply.
9. Once enrolled, students are not required to enroll in subsequent enrollment periods. In
order to properly plan, the school may routinely inquire of parents in early spring through
letters of intent to ascertain if students will return to Hawbridge the following year.
10. Priority enrollment given to children of staff and board members will not exceed more than
15% of the total student body.
Please direct any questions about admissions to Assistant Director Jennifer Shelton at email@example.com