There are many ways in which Hawbridge gives back to the local and global community.
During the 2015-2016 school year, Middle School LIFE classes raised $585 for the UNHCR (United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees) to assist the Syrian refugee crisis and learned about philanthropy and donated to a variety of charities through ‘Tis Best. Other organizations that LIFE students raised money for through either a dance, poker night, or candy gram sales:
- Alamance County Human Society
- Saving Grace Animal Rescue and Adoption
- World Vision
In the spring of 2016, Hawbridge juniors Leif Boyer and Kat Fain organized a community blood drive in partnership with the American Red Cross and The Haw River Ballroom. Thanks to the students, families, and community members who supported us, we collected 29 pints of blood for the American Red Cross.
Hawbridge Helpers is a community service club, founded by Hawbridge students, that partners with the Hawbridge chapter of The National Honor Society. Service completed during the 2015-2016 school year:
- Collected 857 books for Book Harvest (See post on the Book Harvest website “Hawbridge Helpers Lend a Helping Hand.“)
- Collected 1,206 soda pop tabs to benefit Ronald McDonald House
- Coordinated the school-wide Healing Classrooms Challenge, and as a school folded 135 pinwheels – donating $270 to support Syrian refugees
- Made the “Hawbridge Gives Thanks” event happen
- Took up a club-wide collection and donated that money to SAFE to help sponsor families in need- providing them with necessities and Christmas presents
- Dedicated club time to making cards for our families
- Went on the first ever Hawbridge Helpers field trip to the Hawfields nursing home – leading a tile collage craft, visiting rooms, and donating decorated tissue boxes
- Had incredibly successful breakfast foods fundraiser
- Held lollipop Valentine’s fundraiser
- Made the “Hawbridge Spreads the Love” event happen
- Spread more love by decorating classrooms with hearts and leaving teachers messages on their whiteboards. All the teachers loved their messages, and some classrooms had their decorations up all the way through the end of the year!
- Started a pet supply drive to benefit Paws4Ever
- Made and distributed Teacher Appreciation/St. Patrick’s Day cards to all our awesome teachers and administrators
- Funded a Little Free Library with money we earned through fundraisers (and there’s even a Hawbridge Helpers plaque on it)!
- Donated $141 of our fundraising money to Imagine No Malaria
- Donated 3 car washes to the 2016 Hawbridge Silent Auction
- Went on a tour of Paws4Ever Shelter and donated all the supplies we collected!
- Had an awesome auction-prize car wash/end-of-year party combo!