Back to School Updates and Reminders
Category : Executive Director
Time is passing swiftly! This is just a friendly reminder about our opening of school events and a few new items of information.
First, the new information:
- We would like to welcome two new staff members to The Hawbridge School.
- Kim Boyer will be teaching 5th grade this year. Kim comes to us from Chatham County Public Schools. She has a great deal of experience in education and is working on her certification in Academically or Intellectually Gifted program (AIG).
- Mya Ciccotti will be our new Exceptional Children (EC) Coordinator. Mya comes to us with a variety of experiences both in EC and school administration.
- We have new parking available for both you as parents and most importantly, our student drivers. A new parking lot has been constructed above the Saxapahaw Museum, adjacent to Mulberry Lane. This lot will accommodate approximately 30-40 cars. Student drivers will be expected to park in this lot, everyday. Our business partners have been very gracious over the years, being cooperative in allowing some of our students to occupy spaces that should be reserved for their patrons. However, with the addition of this new parking space, students will not be allowed to park in any of the village business spaces, including the General Store lot. If special accommodations are needed, please let me know. This lot wasn’t free. The Jordan family graciously allowed their land to be converted for this use, however the costs of construction were borne by the school and other businesses in the village. Therefore, students will be asked to pay a $20.00 fee for a placard that allows them to park in the school lot. Please feel free to utilize this lot on Monday and Tuesday evenings. Student drivers will be expected to begin parking in this lot on Wednesday morning (the first day of school).
- The last day to register students for the General Store school lunch program is Tuesday, August 16, 2016. We appreciate the store’s helpfulness with this service.
- Please come to back-to-school night with your child’s schedule.
The reminder is as follows (please do your best arrive by 6:00 p.m., knowing traffic will be heavy, to begin the evening in your child’s first period class):
The Hawbridge School will begin classes on August 17, 2016. The school will host back to school nights on Monday, August 15 (for students in grades 5-8 and their parents) and Tuesday, August 16 (for students in grades 9-12 and their parents). The event will begin promptly at 6:00 p.m. each evening with you, parents, and your child following your child’s schedule and reporting directly to your 1st period class at 6:00 p.m. (we will not require you to see Nancy for an admittance slip if you are tardy, but we do encourage everyone to be on time). Fifth grade students and parents will report directly to their respective classrooms. You will spend 10-minutes in each class as listed on your child’s schedule. We will ring the bell when it is time to be dismissed from the current class and you will then report to the next period (with 3-minute transition times). The event will end at approximately 7:15 p.m. after you have gone through your child’s complete schedule.
We realize this will be a change from previous back-to-school nights. We believe this change will provide more structure and organization to the evening, and most importantly, provide parents with better information about what to expect this year.
We will make special accommodations for parents with multiple children in one particular programmatic level (e.g. 2 children in grades 5-8). Please let us know if you will be needing such accommodations.
This first day of school will be a full-day. Our bell schedule for this year, based upon your feedback from the survey administered in the spring, will be 8:15 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. This means instruction begins at 8:15 in first period and students arriving after 8:15 will need to see Nancy for an admittance/tardy slip. As you know, we will be operating a 6-period day, with a flex period at the end of the day. This flex period will be referred to as Bridge and will be 45-minutes. Periods 1-6 will be 57-minutes each. We will have two lunch periods. Lunch A will be from 11:12-11:42. Lunch B will be from 12:12-12:42.
I look forward to seeing you and your children next week!